By Christian Ankerstjerne
The following document is from a report by the Generalinspektuer der Panzertruppen (inspector general for the armored forces). No information is given in regards to which units were interviewed for the report.
Field Experiences With the Pz.Jg.38(t). Status as of 1 August 1944
- Powerful weapon system of light weight and favorable angling, the command of which is good due to the radio.
- Well-suited as an anti-tank weapon in the direct support of infantry assaults, a role in which is has already been proven. One company has destroyed 20 tank, while the frontal armor held up against fire from Russian 76.2 mm anti-tank guns.
- Currently too slow for use with fully-motorized units.
- The crews have confidence in the vehicle despite teething problems that are yet to be fixed.
- Can travel over long distances without technical problems if driven gently.
- Suggested improvements: More powerful engine, as the current cross-country speed is too low. Improved reserve drive, as the current one is not powerful enough.
- Essential spare parts must be supplied in sufficient numbers. Currently, there is a large spare part deficiency.
|Month||BMM Production||Škoda Production||Total|
|Firing height||1.40 m|
|Ground pressure||0.85 kg/cm²|
|Hull, front||60 mm|
|Hull, sides and rear||20 mm|
|Hull, top||8 mm|
|Hull, bottom||10 mm|
|Maximum speed||40 km/h|
|Road speed||25-30 km/h|
|Cross-country speed||15 km/h|
|Trench crossing||1.30 m|
|Vertical obstacle||65 cm|
|Fording depth||0.90 m|
|Fuel capacity||320 l|
|Mileage (road)||1.77 l/km|
|Mileage (cross-country)||2.46 l/km|
|Cruising range||180 km|
|Cross-country range||130 km|
|Make and model||Praga AC|
|Max. governed speed||2600 rpm|
|Main weapon||7,5 cm Pak 39 L/48|
|Secondary weapon||7,92 mm M G 34|
|Auxillary weapon||9 mm M P|
|Main weapon||7,5 cm: 41|
|Secondary weapon||7,92 mm: 600|
|Auxillary weapon||9 mm: 192|
- Führervortrag am 10.8.44. Berlin : Generalinspekteur der Panzertruppen, 1944. 12 p. Gen. Insp. d. Pz. Tr. Org. Nr. 2380/44 g.Kdos.. NARA T78 R623.
- JENTZ, Thomas L. & DOYLE, Hilary Louis. Panzer Tracts No. 9 - Jagdpanzer : Jagdpanzer 38 to Jagdtiger. Darlington, MD : Darlington Productions, 1997. 60 p. ISBN 0-9648793-3-6.
- JENTZ, Thomas L., DOYLE, Hilary Louis & BADROCKE, Mike. New Vanguard 36 - Jagdpanzer 38 "Hetzer" 1944-1945. Oxford : Osprey Publishing, 2001.