German Armored Forces Uniforms
By Willi Schumacher
This section consists of the uniforms and insignia of the German Panzer and assault gun forces during the Third Reich and World War II. These include the Army (Heer), Air Force (Luftwaffe - primarily the Hermann Göring Panzer Division) and the Waffen-SS and Police. Because of the size of the subject, this article is divided into smaller sections, based first on the branch, and then on subject. For a complete picture, it is advised to read the articles in the order they are listed in the table of contents.
- Introduction to Heer Panzer Crew Uniforms
- Heer Panzer Crew Headgear
- Heer Black Panzer Uniform
- Heer Camouflaged Panzer Uniforms
- Protective Suits
- Winter Clothing
- Tropical Panzer Uniforms
- Heer Assault Gun Uniforms
- Shoulder Boards, Shoulder Strap Ciphers, and Miscellaneous Insignia
- Introduction to Luftwaffe Panzer Crew Uniforms
- Luftwaffe Panzer Crew Headgear
- Luftwaffe Black Panzer Uniform
- Luftwaffe Assault Gun Uniforms
- Introduction to Waffen-SS Panzer Crew Uniforms
- Waffen-SS Panzer Crew Headgear
- Waffen-SS Black Panzer Uniform
- Waffen-SS Camouflaged Panzer Uniforms
- Waffen-SS Assault Gun Uniforms
- Introduction to Polizei Panzer Crew Uniforms
- Polizei Panzer Crew Headgear
- Polizei Black Panzer Uniform
- Polizei Camouflaged Panzer Uniforms
The following books were referenced in the preparation of these materials and are highly recommended. For the purchasing of many fine military-related books, contact Roger Bender Publishing or Mr. Jack Hatter of Volume Control.
- ANGOLIA, John R. & SCHLICHT, Adolf. Uniforms & Traditions of the German Army 1933-1945. James Bender Publishing, 1984.
- DAVIS, Brian L. German Army Uniforms and Insignia 1933-1945. Arco Publishing, 1977.
- BENDER, Roger James & PETERSEN, George A. "Hermann Göring:" From Regiment to Fallschirmpanzerkorps. James Bender Publishing, 1993.
- MOLLO, Andrew. Uniforms of the Waffen-SS, volume 6: Waffen-SS Clothing and Equipment 1939-1945. Historical research unit, 1972.
- MOLLO, Andrew. Uniforms of the Waffen-SS, volume 7: Waffen-SS Badges and Unit Distinctions 1939-1945. Historical research unit, 1976.
- BEAVER, Michael D. Camouflaged uniforms of the Waffen-SS: A Photographic Reference. Schiffer Publishing, 1995.
- WILLIAMSON, Gordon & McGUIRL, Thomas. German Military Cuffbands 1784-Present. R. James Bender Publishing, 1998.
- ANGOLIA, LTC (Ret.) John R. Cloth Insignia of the SS. R. James Bender Publishing, 1983.
- BENDER, Roger James & TAYLOR, Hugh Page. Uniforms, Organization and History of the Waffen-SS, Volume 1. R. James Bender Publishing, 1969.
- COOK, Stan & BENDER, Roger James. Uniforms, Organization and History of the Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler, Volume 1. R. James Bender Publishing, 1994.
- SMITH, Jill Halcomb & SARIS, Wilhelm P.B.R. Headgear of Hitler's Germany, Volume . R. James Bender Publishing, 1992.
- BENDER, Roger James & ODEGARD, Warren W. Uniforms, Organization and History of the Panzertruppe. R. James Bender Publishing, 1980.
- BEAVER, Michael D. Uniforms of the Waffen-SS (volume 1-3). Schiffer Publishing, 2002.
A Word of Thanks
The author would like to thank all those collectors who have contributed photographs of their collections to help illustrate many of the artifacts described in this article.